04 March 2008

Barack Obama's advice to parents

In anticipation of the primary results tonight, I offer the following from an article in the Timesonline (U.K.) about Obama's campaign stop in Beaumont, Texas. His words remind me of Bill Cosby's blunt comments to parents (which I may blog another time), or Mary Schmich's world-famous graduation speech about sunscreen (I'm saving that for June). For now, just this...

He drew the noisiest whoops and cheers of the day when he admonished parents for their failings. “Turn off the TV set, put the video game away. Buy a little desk or put that child at the kitchen table. Watch them do their homework. If they don’t know how to do it, give them help. If you don’t know how to do it, call the teacher. Make them go to bed at a reasonable time. Keep them off the streets. Give them some breakfast. Come on! And since I’m on a roll, if you’re child misbehaves in school, don’t cuss out the teacher! Do something with your child!”

He then went on to attack childhood obesity. “We can’t keep feeding our children junk all day long, giving them no exercise. They’re overweight by the time they are four or five years old and then we’re surprised when they get sick ... I know some of you that get cold Popeyes [chicken] out for breakfast! I know! That’s why you are all laughing! I caught you out!”

It is impossible to imagine either Clinton or McCain addressing a crowd in this manner without sounding bossy and patronising. Obama pulled it off with humour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...