15 September 2010

British treasure-hunter finds Roman helmet and mask

It's hard to type when I'm drooling with jealousy...
A Roman bronze helmet complete with face-mask - thought to be one of only three of its kind to be found in Britain - has been discovered by a metal detector enthusiast in Cumbria...

The helmet, with its enigmatic and virtually intact features, would have been worn, possibly with colourful streamers attached to the object, as a mark of excellence by Roman soldiers at cavalry sport parades.

Described as a ''hugely important discovery'', it is now expected to fetch £300,000 at Christie's Antiquities auction in London...

1 comment:

  1. I saw a treasure hunter in Britain on tv (same guy??) that found the biggest Roman (?) treasure every to be found...or something...Obviously I don't remember that well and now my post just looks dumb! I wish I lived in a country that had thousands of years of history buried like that

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...